The View from Galts Gulch [shameless vanity]

The View from Galt’s Gulch [shameless vanity]

Skip to comments.

The View from Galt’s Gulch [shameless vanity]

My camera
| 11/5/2021

Posted on 11/05/2021 6:55:51 PM PDT by markomalley

Just thought I’d give a tiny little slideshow.

Reservior in Kaeng Krachan National Park (about 50 miles away)

Little fish pond at a Buddhist temple up in the mountains near me

Some Thai ladies trying to figure out Fussball at a party a few days ago

Morning bike ride today

View from a little beachside place where, when open, you can get a beverage of choice (adult or otherwise) and enjoy the surf coming in.

TOPICS: Travel
KEYWORDS:

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-34 next last

Like I said in the headline, nothing but a shameless vanity.

But there is a slight point: this is my personal little „Galt’s Gulch“. I encourage you to consider finding your own Gulch wherever fits you (I full well recognize that this may not be your cup of tea). This Gulch is not perfect…but it is a whole lot better than where I was (the „Freak State“ Maryland).

To: markomalley

mark, how long have you lived in Thailand??

Did you retire there?

North? South?

THX

posted on 11/05/2021 6:58:28 PM PDT
by aMorePerfectUnion
(Fraud vitiates everything ᡕᠵ᠊ᡃ࡚ࠢ࠘ ⸝່ࠡࠣ᠊߯᠆ࠣ࠘ᡁࠣ࠘᠊᠊ࠢ࠘𐡏⁻ )

To: markomalley

It’s beautiful, but I refuse to leave my beloved grandchildren. I’m stuck here unfortunately.

posted on 11/05/2021 6:59:03 PM PDT
by Prince of Space
( Let’s go, Brandon! )

To: markomalley

I’m in a van, down by the river, with a load of canned goods from walmart.

posted on 11/05/2021 7:00:55 PM PDT
by Bobalu
(Figure out what you like, learn enough to be dangerous, and then start fiddling around)

To: aMorePerfectUnion

mark, how long have you lived in Thailand??

Full time about 6 months now

Did you retire there?

North? South?

About 100 miles SW of Bangkok on the Gulf of Thailand…

posted on 11/05/2021 7:06:36 PM PDT
by markomalley
(Directive 10-289 is in force)

To: markomalley

posted on 11/05/2021 7:18:39 PM PDT
by RushIsMyTeddyBear
(I’m in the control group. I identify as „vaccinated“.🤡)

To: RushIsMyTeddyBear

Too hot. Morning walks only. The good news is the big decision-where to have lunch.

To: Prince of Space

I don’t blame you for that.

My only regret is to leave the kids behind (by their choice BTW).

I have a spare bedroom for them in case it gets entirely too bad over there. Hopefully Tuesday signals a delay in it getting „entirely too bad“ too quickly.

posted on 11/05/2021 7:31:55 PM PDT
by markomalley
(Directive 10-289 is in force)

To: markomalley

Where are the homeless encampments?

posted on 11/05/2021 7:37:22 PM PDT
by Mark
(Celebrities… is there anything they do not know? Homer Simpson)

To: DIRTYSECRET

You get used to it, believe it or not.

I rarely run the AC in my house. Typically, if it’s hot enough for AC, I go to the beach where it just isn’t needed at all.

Also, all the shopping malls are fully air conditioned 🙂

posted on 11/05/2021 7:39:51 PM PDT
by markomalley
(Directive 10-289 is in force)

To: markomalley

Nice post. My Galt’s Gulch tonight is hanging Christmas lights in my home. Floor to ceiling lights in all common areas. Takes me three or four weeks to put up which is why I’m starting now.

Anyway, I typically go through $400 worth of Command strips to hang them all up each year and all said and done, there are about 8,000 white lights (all LED) in my living room, den, kitchen, library and hallways. Then I put up the tree and multi-colored lights in the bathrooms (only the bedrooms are excepted because we have to sleep, you know!) and you can walk through the house without having to turn on any other lighting. Then you have the candles, the moon lamps and the lava lamps to make it even more festive.

posted on 11/05/2021 7:40:35 PM PDT
by SamAdams76
(I am 26 days away from outliving Holly Dunn)

To: markomalley

I think I recognize Dagny Taggart and Kay Ludlow there in that third photo, but who are the other Gulch Ladies?

😉

To: markomalley

How did you decide on that location?

posted on 11/05/2021 7:55:49 PM PDT
by Silentgypsy
(In my defense, I was left unsupervised.)

To: markomalley

I’ve read that’s a beautiful area.

And the obvious question…

Do you like your new life there?

Any friendly natives?

🙂

posted on 11/05/2021 8:04:16 PM PDT
by aMorePerfectUnion
(Fraud vitiates everything ᡕᠵ᠊ᡃ࡚ࠢ࠘ ⸝່ࠡࠣ᠊߯᠆ࠣ࠘ᡁࠣ࠘᠊᠊ࠢ࠘𐡏⁻ )

To: Silentgypsy

How did you decide on that location?

Long story, but tl;dr:

Wanted to retire early for a long time. In order to achieve that goal, needed to find someplace overseas to retire (because anyplace I could afford to live in the US is someplace I’m not interested in retiring to…nothing against those places, just not my cup of tea)

So every vacation for the past 15 years has been partially with the agenda of looking for possible retirement locations.

Thailand hit most of the checkboxes on my list of needs and wants. Scenery, cost of living, convenience, culture, and, eventually, good medical that is affordable.

Where I’m at in Thailand is close enough to big cities for convenience but far enough away where I don’t have to deal with it on a daily basis.

posted on 11/05/2021 8:06:45 PM PDT
by markomalley
(Directive 10-289 is in force)

To: aMorePerfectUnion

Do you like your new life there?

So far so good. It is different than the US, but mostly in a positive fashion (I just steer waaaaaaaaaaay far away from local politics, which, for an expat, is entirely appropriate)

Any friendly natives?

Plenty…especially the one who cooked me breakfast this morning

(Dtom kha gai — galangal soup with chicken)

posted on 11/05/2021 8:11:18 PM PDT
by markomalley
(Directive 10-289 is in force)

To: Bobalu

posted on 11/05/2021 8:16:13 PM PDT
by bigbob

To: markomalley

I’ve just Retired and
I think the rules are for
The first 2 months You sleep until noon.
I’ll get settled in soon.
Good on ya Mate!

posted on 11/05/2021 8:47:05 PM PDT
by Big Red Badger
(Make His Paths Straight!)

To: markomalley

Beautiful photos. Nicely framed, too. You shoot like a pro.

posted on 11/05/2021 9:01:24 PM PDT
by Veto!
(Political Correctness Offends Me)

To: Veto!

You shoot like a pro.

Thanks. Just pics from my phone…

posted on 11/05/2021 9:11:41 PM PDT
by markomalley
(Directive 10-289 is in force)

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-34 next last

Disclaimer:
Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual
posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its
management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the
exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson